Description Mount Magnet District High School is in the Mid West Education District and is situated 569km north east of Perth and 340km east of Geraldton. The climate tends to be very hot during the summer months, and there are very cold nights during the winter months. Most rainfall occurs during the summer period. The School Mount Magnet District High School is a multicultural environment with a diverse range of students from Mount Magnet and the surrounding Midwest District. The school currently caters for176 students from Kindergarten to Year 12. There is strong parent support for the school. The P & C is very active, and undertakes a great deal of fundraising each year which helps to provide extra resources and facilities. There is also a PSPI (Parents, Schools Partnership Initiative) which meets regularly focussing on the needs of the Aboriginal students at the school. A School Council meets a couple of times each school term and has representatives from the staff, P & C and PSPI. This year, the school has approximately twenty-eight staff that are supported by the Principal and two Deputy Principals. The school is well supported by both teaching and non-teaching staff including classroom teachers, high school teachers, a Getting It Right Literacy Specialist, a Learning Support Co-ordinator, an Art Specialist, a pre-primary education assistant, a kindergarten education assistant, three education special needs assistants, two Nutrition Officers, a Behaviour Management Officer and a librarian. The school also is a base for an Itinerant Relief teacher, who teaches in the a range of Murchison schools. The actions of all staff are guided by the four core values of the Department of Education, Learning, Excellence, Equity and Care. The Town The town was established in 1893 with the discovery of gold on nearby Poverty Flat, with the town of Mt Magnet gazetted in 1895. The district's Aboriginal people are known as Badimaya. There are many Aboriginal sites which are held in significance to both the school and town. The main industries of the area are mining (gold) and pastoralism. Harmony is the local mining company, which operates adjacent to the area. The town is a service centre for the Murchison Station District. The current school site was railway yards until the Geraldton-Meekatharra railway was closed in 1978. The school moved to this site in 1984. The school buildings are mostly transportable, and are located in the central area of town adjacent to the oval and recreation centre. A new administration building and a separate staff room were erected in 1997. The school was further enhanced in 2002 with the building of a new library and covered assembly area.