In 1836, a grant of 640 acres of land, known as "Campdale" was made to William Ealy Simpson for which he paid 160 pounds. In 1849, James Dalton moved to Orange having previously owned and operated a small store in the nearby village of Lucknow. He later went on to establish a number of flour mills in Orange in partnership with his brother Thomas, and later, his half-brother Michael. Over the years, the Daltons acquired substantial land holdings in and around the Orange district. James Dalton purchased the property and built the house where it stands today in 1876.
Giving geographical context to places of interest in Australia